Lone Star College
Advisor II, Workforce AEL Grant (#35553)
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Advisor II serves as the first point of contact and resource in meeting with, advising and tracking students' academic progress in connection with degree completion. Position provides academic advice and direction to students on degree planning, program requirements, course selection and enrollment, and schedule building. Educates students' on LSC's policies and state & federal rules as they relate to them. Represents Lone Star College (LSC) internally and externally. Work hours are split between LSC-Houston North Greenspoint, LSC-University and all other LSC campuses and off-site community partner locations where AEL classes are offered.
This is a temporary, grant-funded position. Continuation of the position from one academic year to the next is dependent upon continued grant funding. Professional Development for TWC, HGAC and LSCS is required by the deadline.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversees daily and some long-term advising caseloads for AEL program operations. Actively maintains up-to-date knowledge of AEL grant and acts as a point of contact and liaison for internal and external constituents
- Meets with high volume of prospective, new, and continuing students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success
- Enters, tracks and maintains a variety of data, including documents, enrollment forms, testing score sheets, spreadsheets and databases
- May be responsible for ensuring and maintaining compliance with local/state/federal compliance of processes and documentation within assigned area
- Advises students on proper course selection for all grant-funded non-credit certificate programs including High School Equivalency or GED, English as a Second Language, Workforce Education and Training Certificates and Developmental Education
- Advises students on referral opportunities for transfer of AAS degrees into bachelor's degrees at the College
- Provides student referrals on job searches and advises graduate's on employment in their field of study. Assists with the career interest assessments, career exploration processes and tools, and provides information on job search and interviewing techniques, preparation and appropriate follow up, and in developing resumes and cover letters
- Tracks students through program completion and provides data on students with declared workforce majors. May include success, retention, completion and graduation rates as well as other data. Aids students in completing graduation checks and applications
- Manage and reply to all departmental communications including Remind and any emails directed to Adult Education and Literacy in a timely manner
- Work with Program Manager to develop best practices for Adult Education population based on student correspondence, advising appointments and need
- Takes part in and/or leads special projects as needed, including presenting informational orientation sessions related to adult-learners, first-time-in-college students and providing academic advice and assist with the enrollment process. Most Adult Education and Literacy Orientations will require travel between Lone Star College Campus locations and approved off- site locations
- Provides coaching and advising to students on skills to develop a clear and attainable education plan and goal, including Individual Training Education and Career (ITEC) Plan
- Responsible for all TWC and HGAC grant compliance standards and guidelines in advising and testing students pre- and post-instruction in all Adult Education and Literacy Program classes
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and at least 3 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese)
- Work experience in a higher education setting, preferably in Advising
- Experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
- Best Plus 2.0 Administrator Certified
- Best Literacy Administrator Certified
- TABE Administrator Certified
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $43,070.00 - $49,531.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location