STAR OF HOPE
Job Title: GED Teacher (Part-Time)
Department: Programs Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Part-Time
Reports To: Manager of Support Services II/Manager of Programs and Intake Services II
Budget Authority: None
Job Summary: The GED teacher will provide clients with instruction, guidance, and preparation for the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) examination. Responsibilities include preparing lesson plans and teaching students the necessary material to pass the examination. The teacher will help students improve how they process information and communication skills as well as develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills. Instruction to focus on the 5 areas of testing: writing, math, reading, social studies and science.
1. Teach English & Social Studies GED residents (students).2. Develop, update and maintain lesson plans.3. Provide appropriate feedback to students on their work and progress.4. Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs, abilities, and interests.
5. Observe and evaluate students' work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement.
6. Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
7. Instruct students individually and in small groups in math as needed using various teaching methods to aid their comprehension of the subject.
8. Maintain accurate and complete student records on each student.9. Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.10. Establish clear objectives for all lessons, and projects, and communicate those objectives to the students in a clear and timely manner.
Approved by HR 2/21/2021
11. Assign and grade class work and homework. Provide appropriate feedback to students on their work and progress.
12. Meet and communicate with programs and other essential employees to discuss individual students' needs and progress.
13. Issue books, materials, and supplies for courses or projects.14. Coordinate, train and assist volunteer tutors.
Other Job Responsibilities:
1. Other duties as assigned.
2. Participate in Ministry and prayer activities, as appropriate
Education Skills & Experience4-year degree in Education, Texas State Teachers' Certification with specialty math. Minimum 5 years teaching experience at the high school or middle school level and have the ability to work with students one-on-one and in groups. The GED instructor must be able to work with adult students who are homeless and from disadvantaged backgrounds. The instructor must understand students' current circumstances and future goals, be able to motivate the students and communicate effectively . Previous experience with substance abuse treatment, homeless clients or Christian Ministry experience
Demonstrated ability to motivate others. Positive attitude. Capable of functioning consistently and well in a fast-paced environment. Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant; Must possess the ability to work harmoniously with and supervise professional and non-professional staff. Excellent presentation and written communication skills, time management and organizational skills; Problem solving skills include creativity and innovation, along with the ability to analyze and interpret relevant situations to achieve program goals; Ability to work under pressure, self-directed with good business judgment and the capacity to identify, evaluate and assimilate information.
Be able to work respectfully, professionally and in a Christ-like manner with everyone, able to maintain required residents/staff boundaries and possess a willingness to serve the Lord in a ministry that deals with homeless men, women and children.
Equipment Used: Computer literate in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Ability to use office equipment, computer and other related office related supplies and equipment. Must have reliable transportation and an acceptable driving record.
Work Environment: Typical air-conditioned office environment Homeless shelter, social services, recovery environment with large population of men, women and children living on site.
Some travel to attend seminars and training sessions will be necessary. Flexible schedule with some evening and weekend work required. Social skills necessary to entertain or visit major donors in a wide variety of settings. Exposure to infectious diseases, poor hygiene, drug usage, verbal and physical abuse and other emergency situations relative to the homeless population is normal.
Relations with Others: Extensive, including contact with men and women clients daily. Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills. Social skills necessary to encourage a positive reflection on the donor's involvement with Star of Hope
Approved by HR 2/21/2021
Physical Requirements: Ability to move freely up and down stairs. Could involve bending, climbing stairs, lifting, carrying, and driving, good vision and speech a necessity. Able to lift up to 20 pounds.
Other: Able to support through word and action the Star of Hope "Christ-centered" Mission statement and the mission's core values of integrity, excellence and commitment to life change.
Date Job Description Became Effective: 02/21/2021
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications of an employee assigned to this job. I have read and agree to the duties outlined above and understand that in order to adjust to changes in business, it may be necessary to modify the job, add to or remove certain duties and responsibilities, or be reassigned to an alternate position. This statement does not alter the "at will" status of employment at Star of Hope.
Employee's Signature Date
Supervisor's Signature Date
Approved by HR 2/21/2021
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.00 - $25.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Houston, TX: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Adult education: 3 years (Required)
- Teaching Certification (Required)
Work Location: Multiple Locations