Thies & Talle Management, Inc., a leading property management company with over thirty-five years of experience in the multi-housing industry, is seeking a part-time Maintenance Technician to work at two of our apartment communities located in Pierre and Fort Pierre, SD. This position is responsible for the maintenance of the apartments, common building systems and grounds. Duties also include apartment turnover maintenance. Must be detail oriented and possess skills in customer service. Appliance repair, plumbing, electrical and carpentry experience is required. On-call hours may be required. Wage depends on experience. Excellent benefits! Equal Opportunity Employer
SUMMARY: The person in the Maintenance Technician position provides repair and preventive maintenance of all buildings on-site for which he/she is responsible, including maintaining the lawn and surrounding property. This individual also upholds company standards with regard to budgets, maintenance, and upkeep guidelines and applicable laws. The Maintenance person communicates regularly and effectively with residents, staff, and all levels of management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Other duties or tasks may be assigned as required. Management may modify, change or add to the duties of this description at any time without notice.
* Maintenance Technicians are periodically required to be "on-call" and to respond to emergency maintenance requests or resident needs at the property. Maintenance Technicians are required to be within 50 miles of their residence or work site (whichever is closer) or within a distance as directed by the supervisor. Employees that are "on-call" are free to pursue their own activities and interests in their home and in the neighboring area but must remain within the above radius of the site. On-call employees must not consume alcoholic beverages or be taking any other drug or medication that would interfere with their ability to work and/or drive. On-call employees must personally wear and respond to the pager when on-call.
* Takes care of lawn, including mowing, trimming, seeding, sodding, repairing and winterizing.
* Maintains outside of buildings including repairs, painting, rescreening windows, etc.
* Keeps occupied units in good condition in compliance with all codes to maintain resident satisfaction and make unoccupied units rent ready in the required timeframe, including the repair and maintenance of appliances; plumbing; electrical and lighting systems; heating and cooling systems; walls and flooring; sprinkler; reframing and hanging doors; troubleshooting telephone lines and cables; removal and disposal; and using carpentry skills as necessary.
* Performs snow and ice removal including snowblowing, shoveling, and putting down salt, using a pick to remove ice build-up on sidewalks and walkways, parking lots, roofs, and common spaces.
* Replaces unit locks on rental units as necessary and on all turnovers, outside doors, and outbuildings and takes other steps as necessary to maintain security of premises.
* Coordinates and oversees work of sub-contractors hired by the company.
* Performs small motor repair and maintenance on equipment used in maintaining the buildings and grounds such as lawnmowers, tractors, snowblowers, chainsaws, and other power tools and equipment.
* Purchases approved supplies such as paint, paint brushes, locks, pipe, wiring, light bulbs, etc. for maintaining property.
* Knowledge of and the ability to maintain and operate electrical, mechanical, plumbing, building, carpentry, and heating equipment.
* Diagnose and troubleshoot malfunctions with electrical, heating, plumbing, appliances, and building equipment and using appropriate resources to correct problems.
* Assist in periodic unit inspections to identify and address short-term repair needs and resident housekeeping and sanitation issues as well as long term capital and replacement needs of the property.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
* Purchases and picks up approved parts and materials needed to perform maintenance duties.
* Coordinates with schedules of painters, carpet installers, and other contractors as necessary.
* Prepares and maintains paperwork such as invoices, service requests, and timesheets.
* Hauls material to landfill.
* Consults with vendors to find the best value on goods and services.
* Stays informed on changing codes and their possible impact on the site, implementing changes as necessary.
* Communicates with management on changes, maintenance needs and tenant issues.
SUPERVISORY RELATIONSHIPS: To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to work within the following supervisory relationships:
The Maintenance Technician reports to the Property Manager. The Maintenance Technician does not supervise other employees.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience: High school diploma and two to three years of experience as a general maintenance mechanic or related occupation, or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge. A driver's license and transportation is required. Other formal maintenance related training and certifications desirable. If working on a boiler system, a state boiler's license or ability to maintain one upon employment is required.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and complete documentation required by city, county, state or federal agencies. Must be able to communicate through speaking, listening, and writing effectively with residents and outside agencies.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
Reasoning Ability: Needs to be able to assess a situation based upon available date and information and make timely and appropriate decisions.
Other Skills/Abilities/Specifications: This job requires self-motivation, the ability to multi-task, and the ability to work independently. Must be able to prioritize job duties. Able to maintain confidentiality is required. Skill in establishing and maintaining positive relationships with diverse residents.
PUNCTUALITY AND ATTENDANCE: Regular attendance, reliability, and punctuality are needed to be available to meet with applicants, current residents, and outside vendors during regularly scheduled office hours. The success of the property and maintaining resident satisfaction and filling apartments requires staff to be available at the convenience of applicants and residents. Most buildings or apartment communities managed by Management have small staffs and employees must be able to assist other employees in job duties and be available to respond to occasional property or tenant emergencies. Must be available on weekdays and weekends at end and beginning of each month to work on apartment turnovers and to repair and make ready apartments from vacating residents for new occupants.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The working condition characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The noise level of the work environment is usually moderate.
May come into contact with unsanitary conditions in unoccupied or occupied homes of residents and contact with insects and/or rodents. The position has the potential to come into contact with human waste (plugged toilets) and noxious fumes (natural gas).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to work in cramped positions for extended periods of time, work on hands and knees, and reach with hands and arms and balance. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; stoop; kneel; crouch; crawl; climb stairs; and talk or hear.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS: Management will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in connection with its application process, modifications or adjustments to the work environment, and modifications or adjustments that allow a disabled individual to have equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by other similarly situated individuals without disabilities, unless doing so would cause undue hardship.
SMALL TOOLS REQUIRED TO BE OWNED AND OTHER EQUIPMENT USED:
Maintenance technicians are expected to own and replace as needed their own basic hand tools and small electric tools.
Use of cleaning products and equipment such as vacuum cleaners, brooms, and mops.
Additionally, employee may use snow removing equipment such as shovels and/or snowblowers.
Pay Rate: Type
Pay Rate: Low
Pay Rate: High