Manager: Senior Scientist
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms - gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today's medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let's build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a talented Research Associate in our Research group to support the development of our novel genome engineering platform for the treatment of neurological diseases.
Key responsibilities will include performing in vitro cell culture experiments to demonstrate target engagement and support lead candidate selection, screening and assay development, and generation of data from in vivo studies to support advancement of CNS programs. The position requires adaptability, creativity, good written and verbal communication skills, as well as a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The environment is exciting, fast-paced, and offers the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of genome engineering and translational medicine.
- Perform in vitro experiments in primary and iPSC-derived neurons and other brain cell types
- Perform AAV expression studies in mammalian cell models
- Expertise in molecular and biochemical methods (qRT-PCR, ELISA, and molecular cloning)
- Evaluate in vivo studies for RNA, DNA, and protein endpoints
- Successfully plan, execute, and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Familiarity with microscopy techniques
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S.. in molecular and/or cellular biology, biochemistry, neuroscience, bioengineering, chemical engineering, or related discipline. M.S. preferred
- 2+ years of relevant laboratory experience in an academic research laboratory or biotechnology company. Level will be determined by education, experience, and skills
- Experience with neuronal cell culture, including AAV and nucleic acid transfection
- Extensive experience with molecular biology and biochemical methods and techniques including qRT-PCR, ELISA, western blotting, molecular cloning, and nucleic acid and protein isolation from mammalian cells and tissues
- Preferred candidates will be proficient in use of the Microsoft Office Suite and statistical analysis and graphing software (e.g. GraphPad Prism)
- Strong experiment design, problem-solving, and data analysis skills are desired
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience with high-throughput assays preferred
- Experience with gene therapy and CNS-related fields preferred
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management's definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.
If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please contact us through . Attach your contact information, your area of specialty, and any marketing information you wish to provide. Someone form the Talent Acquisition Department will contact you directly if there is a business need for your services.