EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (EOE) STATEMENT
Manomet is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
POSITION SUMMARY (Short summary of the essential purpose of the job)
Manomet seeks a creative, experienced, and dedicated educator to deliver programs to K-12 students, college students, and the general public. The Science Educator will play a key role in the design and delivery of innovative education programs; in coordinating with teachers, schools, and diverse groups; and in leading and mentoring youth groups such as the Massachusetts Young Birders Club. Our Environmental Education and Outreach program is in a period of growth and expansion, and there is broad opportunity for the person in this position to grow the role. The successful candidate will be passionate about conservation and education, committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) inside and outside the classroom, and an energetic team player.
Manomet's migratory bird research program is one of the longest-running in North America, and the bird banding lab plays a key and unique role in education programs at headquarters. Bird banding experience is not required for this position, but the Science Educator will collaborate closely with the Banding Lab Director on education priorities and opportunities related to the banding lab with an intentional focus on environmental justice and DEI. Manomet is also currently developing education-related stewardship and environmental monitoring opportunities at the Manomet Observatory property, as well as an accessible nature trail with interpretive signs and online content. The Science Educator will collaborate closely with Manomet staff on these initiatives. There will also be opportunities to collaborate with Manomet staff and partners across the western hemisphere on digital and non-digital education initiatives that follow migratory bird flyways.
This full-time position will be based at Manomet HQ in Plymouth, MA. Some remote work is negotiable. Hours are flexible and varied, including some evenings and weekends.
MISSION CONNECTION (How position supports Manomet's mission and strategic goals)
The Science Educator will play a key role in three of the Manomet Environmental Education and Outreach Major strategic goals: (1) to expand the scope and impact of Manomet's education programs, (2) to reduce systemic barriers to environmental stewardship and conservation careers, and (3) to develop the Manomet Observatory property to maximize biodiversity and serve as an outdoor laboratory and demonstration property for science and education. The Science Educator will be involved in the design and delivery of education programs; will collaborate with other EE&O staff and the Director of Diversity and Belonging to ensure that our programs are taught in an equitable and inclusive manner and to identify opportunities to improve our DEI practices, and to lead programs and design educational opportunities related to the Manomet Observatory property.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Duties and responsibilities that occupy a major portion of time/importance in the job)
- Deliver hands-on, engaging education programs to K-12 students, college students, and the general public.
- Work with Manomet staff, teachers, schools, and other stakeholders to coordinate and schedule programs and youth club activities.
- Assist with curriculum development and identification of new education opportunities.
- Lead public programs such as nature walks and bird watching trips.
- Collaborate with partner organizations on education priorities, and represent Manomet at meetings and conferences.
Additional tasks may be included in this position depending on the person's skills and experience.
QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum education, experience, skills required to perform the job)
- BA/BA degree in biology, environmental science, education, or related field, or equivalent in work experience.
- At least three years formal or informal education experience.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as a foundational principle for teaching and professional interactions.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Enthusiastic about birds and conservation.
- Ability to engage diverse audiences and people of all knowledge levels about science topics, and to make scientific information accessible to all learners.
- Confident communicator and public speaker able to represent Manomet to a variety of audiences.
- Experienced bird-watcher and naturalist with strong field ID skills.
- Bilingual/Multilingual (strongly desired).
- Training in multicultural education best practices.
- Familiarity with Next Generation Science Standards or Massachusetts Science and Technology/Engineering Framework.
- Curriculum development experience.
- Experience with digital media and online teaching/learning.
- Familiarity with field research techniques in environmental science and ornithology.
- Advanced degree and/or teaching certification.
SALARY: $48,000-$52,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits package
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
· Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
· Ability to teach for extended periods of time
· Ability to work outdoors for long periods in a variety of weather conditions
· Ability to lead groups for distances of up to several miles over rough surfaces or along beaches
ADA SPECIFICATIONS: Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should submit a cover letter, CV or resume, and contact information for three references. References will not be contacted without permission from the candidate. Consideration of applications will begin on November 16, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,000.00 - $52,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
Work Location: Multiple Locations