Job Summary: The Vice President, Capital Markets will be responsible for the sourcing, origination, underwriting, and due diligence associated with debt placements (senior, mezzanine, and possible preferred equity transactions). The VP will be responsible for reviewing lending agreement terms, property related documents and third-party reports as well as creating ground up operating cash flow models. The individual should be capable of independently completing a full underwriting assignment with minimal guidance, as well as supervising and reviewing the work of others in this capacity. This position will require coordination across multiple functions and with shareholder representatives.
- Establish and maintain relationships with lenders, brokers, servicers, and due diligence providers as well as private equity stakeholders.
- Perform and oversee underwriting analysis on all loan products including complex financial analysis as needed for development projects and/or projects that may not involve financing.
- Lead Capital Markets deal team meetings and coordinate related activities to evaluate strengths and weaknesses of prospective loans and establish underwriting/closing timelines.
- Review of specialized documents such as ground leases, regulatory agreements, franchise and management contracts or operating agreements/leases to understand asset complexities and model incentive streams.
- Analyze and evaluate complex ownership borrower structures relative to legal and financial responsibilities and obligations.
- Resolve any distressed situations in need of work-out in order to maximize value of investments and/or obtain waivers or other allowances as necessary.
- Additional duties as deemed necessary by management.
- A strong knowledge of real estate markets; ideally with a focus on the hospitality industry.
- Excellent analytical, quantitative and technical skills, including the ability to analyze, underwrite and forecast property cash flows and valuations with solid understanding of operations.
- Ability to size and price loans with proper structural features and negotiate term sheets and loan commitments.
- Successful track record and experience in the commercial mortgage loan origination, due diligence, and loan closing/negotiation processes including exposure to balance sheet facilities such as construction and bridge loans as well as CMBS facilities.
- Team player who is organized, efficient, proactive, conscientious and assumes accountability and responsibility for specific performance and work product.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship-building skills, and marketing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Creative problem-solver with strong research skills.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret real estate market data/trends and financial information.
- Able to leverage established relationships with capital markets players.
- Ability to independently and pro-actively interact with, and gather data from borrowers, brokers, property managers, appraisers, attorneys, and other real estate professionals.
- Knowledge of and experience with unsecured debt markets, revolving credit facilities and rating agency relationship management a plus.
- 10+ years of progressive work experience in analysis of hospitality and commercial real estate, including duties such as valuation and market analysis, property inspections, reviewing financial statements, and sourcing and underwriting loan transactions.
- An undergraduate degree in a business-related field (i.e. Finance, Accounting, Real Estate, Business). Master's degree preferred.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills with experience leading and directing people.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including negotiation experience.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to operate under demanding deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and work on several transactions simultaneously.
- Ability to recognize and mitigate risk.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)